Wednesday 25 November 2009

Whatever Works (2009) 5/10

Starring : Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson
Director : Woody Allen
Running Time : 92 mins

Boris Yellnikoff (David) is a miserable man who spends his days droning on about the worthlessness of life to anyone who will listen, so when he meets Melodie St Ann Celestine (Wood), a young impressionable woman from the South who convinces him to let her stay at his place, he finds himself foisting his ideas onto her as they slowly decide that maybe being together would be the best thing for them both.

Woody Allen movies, to my mind, are notoriously hit and miss, but this was mostly miss. With Larry David doing a poor impression of Allen, I felt myself cringing as I watched an actor and writer that I usually really enjoy sell himself out to Hollywood. The script was very familiar, as if Allen is running out of ideas and stealing his old ones, and the characters were largely unlikeable. I’d recommend avoiding this movie.

You’ll like this if you liked : Anything Else

No comments: